I started by cutting each character block out separately, and added borders in coordinating solid colours around each block.
It was looking a little small, so I added an extra border around each one, tilted each block on varying angles and trimmed back.
With my supervisor napping on the job (and on the quilt), I eventually got the basting done. I really should use more pins, I know, I'm pretty slack with my basting.
I quilted vertically and horizontally in my favourite organic style (which basically means that I don't worry about lines being straight or an even distance apart).
Nephew is happy, and I'm pretty confident I have the Number 1 auntie position under control.